The Open Enrollment Period for health insurance is from November 1st, 2016 to January 31st, 2017. During this period, you may change your health insurance plan and/or carrier for the 2017 year.
Beginning January 1st, 2017, all Covered California individual members must choose a primary care physician or have one appointed within 60 days. Maintaining a good relationship with your doctor supports affordability, access and improved health (Triple Aim).
For 2017, monthly premiums are going up 13.2% overall (weighted average) across California.
Anthem, Blue Shield and Health Net will have the highest rate increases for 2017. Anthem is switching to an Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO) for the LA area and will not cover out-of-network services. Blue Shield will be the only Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) in the LA region for 2017. Oscar is a new EPO provider for the LA region and offers very competitively priced plans but does not offer out-of-network services. Oscar has a gold plan with an out-of-pocket maximum of $3,000 versus the standard $6,750 for standard metal plans.
7 Tips to Find an Affordable Plan
1. Shop for insurance through either the Covered California State Exchange or off the exchange directly from the carriers.
2. Decide if you may qualify for state subsidies if you have a Modified Adjusted Gross Income of 139-380% of the Federal Poverty Line.
3. Check to see if your doctor and hospital are in-network for all prospective health plan carriers.
4. Review the deductibles and out-of-pocket maximum for each plan.
5. Avoid out-of-network services, especially if you decide to go onto an EPO such as Anthem or Oscar.
6. Ask yourself how you would pay for the steep out-of-pocket maximum should the unexpected happen.
7. Consider supplemental insurance such as accidental or critical illness insurance to indemnify your financials from the high out-of-pocket maximum.
Review the tips and visit our website at www.solidhealthinsurance.com to find more tips, videos and blog posts that will cover all of your health insurance needs.
Please contact us at Solid Health Insurance Services at (310)-909-6135 or at email@example.com